Welcome to the 22nd MicroFest, Southern California’s annual celebration of the “notes-between-the-notes,” as we explore sounds from other worlds.
- GO TO HELL in the premiere performance of Christopher Adler’s Aeneas in the Underworld for narrator, 2 guitars & string quartet
- Immerse yourself in the amazing Looking Glass keyboard of Aron Kallay where Up is Down, Right is Left, and nothing is what it seems when he goes Beyond 12
- Experience Music from the OTHER Wakanda made by one-of-a-kind, custom made, microtonal instruments like the Quartz Crystal Vibes, the Wilson Microzone, the Ubertar, and the Transcendello in pre-recorded afro-classical 5.1 surround sound in the Glendale Planeterium
- Two CD release parties! Stand onstage with Grammy-winning PARTCH Ensemble as they play excerpts from their new album Sonata Dementia, or enjoy MicroFest Records’ live performances of New Releases/Sneak Previews/Greatest Hits by the world class musicians that recorded them at the indispensable New Music venue Tuesdays @ Monk Space
- Exquisite masterworks by two Deans of Microtonal music — Ben Johnston’s string music at Pasadena’s Boston Court, and Lou Harrison’s American Gamelan music in Claremont
Come explore these new microtonal soundscapes and hear sounds you’ve never heard before… and can’t wait to hear again.
“World Class.” – Alan Rich, LA Weekly
“Performers were of a caliber that kept this listener in a state of continual astonishment.” – Mark Swed, LA Times
“After prolonged exposure to the rich, kaleidoscopic world of microtones, returning to equal-tempered music was like going back to black & white after spending a weekend immersed in color…” – Wall Street Journal